Wednesday, November 4, 2015

'Til Divorce Do Us Part...

Marriage is funny, really, there you were: single (Life was simple). Then you meet some stranger, love them, marry them, then they become your other half! That's the easy part apparently. So for someone whose witnessed a failed marriage first hand, and knowing that 80% of the married people I know are unhappy, I can attest that marriage isn't as binding as the vows make it seem. Or so I thought...

The divorce rate has steadily increased exponentially over the years. Some say women are just becoming too big for their own boots, trying to wear the pants in their relationships. Maybe. However I think women have just come to realise that they don't have to put up with the bullshit that men give us! I digress. That's another story (open for debate).
My point is, I've always believed that I should acquire my own assets before I get married. It's something my mother has always told me and it makes sense - financially. I had it all figured out, buy a house by the time I'm 25, and invest in whatever I can. So far so good.
Then when (if) I get married - I will get married out of community of property. My assets will be used to benefit both my husband and I, but I will have made provision to protect myself should anything happen. There's nothing wrong with that, is there?

Well, it recently came to my attention, that I've gone about this the WRONG way. As a Christian, I should not go into marriage prepared for a divorce. That contradicts the entire purpose of marriage in the first place. God hates divorce! (Yes, that's actually a quote from the Bible.) Moreover, it's wrong to get married out of community of property, whatever you had acquired prior to marriage should become your children's assets, and belong to both husband and wife.
I have been told to pray about removing the spirit of divorce from my life, and that if I rebuke it, it will not manifest in my life. I should go in a marriage with the mindset that I will stay in it no matter what. With prayer and faith, there will be no need to protect myself with material things. Powerful.
I had never looked at it from that perspective.

Needless to say, being a Christian gets harder everyday. It's funny that I thought I had everything figured out, but God keeps showing me, that my plans exclude him, and I need to grow my faith in order to truly experience his infinite Glory and favour.

No comments:

Post a Comment