Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Rejection!

Okay, so last week I went for an interview, which went really well. I was even called back for a second interview (with a different person.) I didnt get the job, and I know why. As much as I hate being cliche, it's because I'm black! The lady actually called me yesturday and told me I was excellent for the job, but that there was "someone" else more suitable for it. (if you missed the hint, "someone" means a white girl). Then, she goes onto say, "We'll keep you in our data base in case another position comes up!" Talk about rubbing salt on an open wound.
Exhibit #2 A few weeks ago, I went to a promotions agency with 3 friends, and as soon as I walked in she said, "Sorry, you're too short! You won't be able to book any jobs because of our client specifications."
Exhibit #3 I applied to be a promoter at promo agency.My application was successful, so they asked me to forward them details about my height, weight, measurements, etc. After forwarding the required, I received the following email:

Hi there
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately we are not taking any more models/promoters at this time.

So I went onto their website and looked at the girls that are already part of the agency, it clicked!

*sigh*
I guess by now, you know where I'm going with this!
You would think we live in an 'open-minded' society, but here are three different scenarios where I'm being judged on my skin colour, my height, and my weight. I mean, it's just  promotions!! You don't need to be a size zero or 1.7m tall to sell stuff.
I'd like to think I'm a relatively confident person. I don't really have issues with the way I look, but I have to admit, all these experiences have put me in a place where I now stand infront of the mirror, and start wondering why I'm not good enough.
Anyway, I'm not the type to dwell on the negative. To be frank, I'd rather not associate myself with people who are that narrow minded (yes, I'm trying to make myself feel better)
So onwards with the job hunting!!

P.S: To anyone who feels the way I feel- look in the mirror every morning and say:
1. I AM WORTHY
2. I AM BEAUTIFUL
3. I AM ME
4. I AM GOOD ENOUGH, AND IF ANYONE THINKS OTHERWISE, THEY CAN JUMP OFF A BRIDGE!!

And on a completely unrelated note: I am officially on holiday!!! whoop whoop, bring in the fun times

No comments:

Post a Comment