Wednesday, July 17, 2013

To kill a chicken or not!!

Tradition Vs. Modernism. I guess this is one of those topics, that are difficult to disscuss without offending someone, but the border line here is: If you firmly believe in your customs- why get offended or angry (such as those I recently had this arguement with...no names mentioned!) when someone questions you about it?

After much debate (and research) I have deduced that many people believe that a black african woman, should know how to kill, prepare and cook a chicken. Much to my dismay- my parents also agree. Funny enough, as patriotic and cultured as my parents are, they never saw the need to teach me how to kill chickens, that tells me that it's not that important and to be quite frank, those hideous birds scare me (when they are alive!). I've also derived that possessing the skill of killing a chicken is primarily determined by the environment of your upbringing. Those who lived on a farm for example would obviously need the skill. I've noticed that people who live/d with their grandmothers or those in places where electricity was unavailable seem to have acquired the skill at an earlyy age. For those of us who grew up in 'The Burbs'  there has always been easy access to shops (where chickens are already prepared and sometimes deboned). I don't even know where to get access to live chickens for that matter.

I am aware that it's a cultural prerequisite for a wife to kill and cook a chicken for her prospective husband's family at wedding negotiations- but what no one can explain to me is: why we do it!! People are so quick to jump to the, "It's our tradition" line. I mean what is the purpose of practising something when you don't even understand why you're doing it? As much as we have culture, there needs to be a purpose to the rituals that we practise! Gone are the days where mindless bafoons just do as they are told with no questions asked.
MY POINT: if there is no relevant need for some of our traditions- they should be dealt away with! People are evolving, so why should culture remain static?

No comments:

Post a Comment